Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Poetry Match Up

My fifth graders are studying poetry.  I made up index cards with 10 poetry terms, 10 definitions, and 10 examples of each. I made 6 sets to use at my library tables in Ziploc bags. Students worked in groups to match the terms, definitions, and examples. They had so much fun with this activity! After going over the answers, I asked them to "gently" mix up the cards again for the next class to unravel. I think they enjoyed doing that too. Lots of excited chatter, laughter, and victory cries during this activity. The teachers liked it as well. They thought it was a good review for the students.

I stumbled upon the book- Book Speak: Poems About Books by Laura Purdie Salas. It has poems about books and literary elements. At the end of the activity, I showed students the poem, "Calling All Readers" from the book. I read it aloud to the students. Then I had them identify any poetic devices they found in the poem. I also had students give examples of similes and metaphors for fun. One class is making alliterations and illustrating them for me to use as decorations/authentic work the library. Great activity for the week before Thanksgiving Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment